You know you're from Indiana when...
- You’ve never met any celebrities.
- Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
- “Vacation” means driving through Amish Country or going to the State Fair.
- You’ve seen all the biggest bands ten years after they were popular.1
- You measure distance in minutes.2
- You know several people who have hit a deer.
- You have no problem spelling or pronouncing “Terre Haute.”
- Your school classes were cancelled because of cold.
- Your school classes were cancelled because of heat.
- You know where all the Yoders live.
- You’ve ridden the school bus for an hour each way.
- You’ve ever had to switch from “heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
- You think ethanol makes your truck “run a lot better.”
- You know what’s knee-high by the Fourth of July.
- Stores don’t have bags, they have sacks.
- You see people wear bib overalls at funerals.
- You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it no matter what time of the year.
- You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: “Where’s my coat at?” or “Who are you gonna go with?”
- All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, or grain.
- De-tassling was your first job (that’s de-tassling corn for you city folk).3
- Your idea of a really great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun and accompanied only by ketchup and a dill pickle slice.
- You say catty-wumpus and kitty-corner.
- You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.4
- You think of the major four food groups as beef, pork, beer, and Jell-O salad with marshmallows.
- When asked how your trip was to any foreign, exotic place, you say, “It was different.”
- You consider being called a “Pork Queen” an honor.5
- You carry jumper cables in your car.6
- You know what “cow tipping” is.
Heh. Perfect. Bold are ones I do/know. I would also add the following:
- You know the "correct" pronounciations of the towns Versailles (ver-SALES) and Peru (PEE-ru).
1. I did see Pearl Jam for the first time in, like, 2002 or so.
2. I do this all the time and have never even thought about it
3. Mine was bailing hay, but close enough and just as dirty and hot a job.
4. Describes my home where I grew up to a tee.
5. The county seat of the county I grew up in was the home of the Pork Festival. my high school band marched there every year, and at least back then Bob & Tom would be there every year.
6. Who DOESN'T carry jumper cables in their car?!