Nineteen and ninety-freaking-nine.
That's when I started my first "blog". Back then it was all text files. I can't even remember the name of the site that inspired me to try my hand at it. Someone Canadian I think. Then I wrote my own perl backend to support it, read text files that I put up on FTP. Still did the majority of the work in a straight up text file. Eventually moved on to some blogging platforms and registered a domain. Early 2000's got involved in political blogging, was one of the first political bloggers in Indiana. Even got some traction with it, but the 2004 election killed my spirit for blogging. Since then the site's been half dormant, half active, switching in and out of use and disuse and down completely and back up just to aggregate stuff then back down again.
Now it's nearly 12 years since my first ever blog post [sweet jeebus I was a whiny little emo shithead back then]. LOTS has changed, almost universally for the better. A short rundown of the things that have happened in those 12 years.
- Lost a job
- Graduated from college
- Got a job, then laid off.
- Worked at a bookstore and learned a lot about what it's like to get by on not very much.
- Got another job and stayed there for 7 years.
- Got involved in politics, helped run the Howard Dean campaign here in Indiana via meetups. Went to Iowa twice.
- Got depressed by politics in 2004.
- Started Drinking Liberally: Indianapolis in 2004. It's still going.
- Finally dealt with my depression and anxiety.
- Got excited about politics again in 2008.
- Met the love of my life in 2008, engaged 8 months later.
- Got a new job that I loved.
- The cold crushing reality of business comes along.
- Got married!!!
- Depressed by politics again, this time mostly local ineptitude.
- Left the job that I used to love for a new job that challenges me in ways I never thought possible.
- Expecting my first child.... me... a father.
And here we are, nearing on summer of 2011. I'm a far, FAR different man than I was when I first started writing crap on the internet. Smarter, wiser (theoretically), a better person, becoming a real adult. Still have too much of a love of cursing [I better watch that]. A new chapter of my life is definitely underway. Maybe I'll stick around this thing and start writing about it again. Let's find out.